Gexa Women in Energy Host Dinner for Patients and Family members at Nora’s Home
On Tuesday, June 6, members of Gexa Energy’s Gexa Women in Energy group hosted a dinner for transplant patients and their families staying at Nora’s Home. Nora’s Home offers affordable lodging for pre-transplant and post-transplant patients and their families who travel to any of the Texas Medical Center transplant centers. And provides care, education and support for transplant patients and their families in a loving, home-like environment.
To help support the amazing work that Nora’s Home does in the local community, Gexa Women in Energy members prepared and served dinner for over the 30 guests who call this place home. The team members also donated a basket of household items to help run Nora’s Home.
Gexa Women in Energy is committed to supporting charitable programs have a meaningful impact on the lives of others, and the team was honored to have had the opportunity to spend time with the guests of Nora’s Home. Here are some direct quotes from the Gexa Women in Energy team members on how inspiring it was to be able to experience the amazing work that Nora’s Home does firsthand:
- “As I observed the interactions between the patients, their family members and the staff during dinnertime, I was very impressed with the sense of community and support being enjoyed among the group and could see that Nora’s House provided a place that made their temporary “home away from home” a bit more comforting. It was a privilege to be a participant in this GWIE event.” – Lourdes
- “I felt very privileged to serve the residents at Nora’s Home and I was moved by their inspirational stories.” – Kathy
- “One of the most powerful things I witnessed was the comradery between the residents. There was a patient who was recovering from a double lung transplant and another one that was about to undergo the procedure. You could tell they had formed a bond. There is so much strength in seeing someone who has gone through what you are about to do.” – Samantha
- “I love helping others. It’s a feeling that I can’t even express.” – LeQuila
- “It was a nice feeling to see that and to know that so many people are benefiting from a great place.” – Sandy
The mission of Gexa Women in Energy, which officially launched in August 2016 and currently has 54 members, is to provide a supportive environment for Gexa employees to network and share ideas in order to promote personal and professional growth as well as lending a stronger sense of community within our organization. The group was founded by Gexa Energy’s parent company, NextEra Energy, and has grown to include other sister companies as well. Gexa Women in Energy is the newest and only chapter outside of Florida, and are thrilled to bring its positive impact to the Houston area.
To learn more about how Gexa Energy supports the local community, visit http://www.gexaenergy.com/about-us/community/.