October Energy Awareness Month: Do You Know Your Average Carbon Footprint?
You may have heard the term “Carbon Footprint” in the past, but what does it really mean?
A carbon footprint corresponds to the whole amount of greenhouse gases (GHG) produced to, directly and indirectly, support a person’s lifestyle and activities in a year’s timeframe. In this blog, you will find out more on how to calculate your carbon footprint and why it may be important to do so.
What is the average carbon footprint of a person in the U.S.?
According to Nature.org, the average carbon footprint for a person living in the United States is 16 tons, one of the highest in the world. It is said to have the best chance of avoiding an estimated 2℃ rise in global temperatures, the average global carbon footprint per year needs to drop under 2 tons by 2050.
How can I calculate my carbon footprint?
Although there is a variety of ways that your carbon footprint can be calculated, there are ways to do it. Start with your household. Here are some questions to keep in mind.
- How many people live in your household and what is your approximate gross annual household income?
- How do you get around? (By car, plane, train, bus and etc.)
- How much electricity do you consume? (Looking at your monthly bill can help figure this out!)
- How much natural gas do you consume?
- How much to use oills such as heating oils, and other fuels?
- Whats the square footage of your living space?
- How much water does everyone in your household consume? (Looking at your monthly bill can help figure this out!)
- How much food do you consume? (Meats, fish, eggs, grains, baked goods, dairy, fruits, vegtables, snacks and drinks)
- How much do you spend on goods and services?
What could be important about knowing your carbon footprint?
Knowing your carbon footprint can be important to understanding the impact your behavior makes on global warming. If you want to help reduce your contribution to global warming, keeping track can help you be more aware of what eco-friendly alternative habits to seek for.
Find out more on how to calculate your carbon footprint with this easy calculator.
About Gexa Energy
Gexa Energy is one of the fastest-growing retail electricity providers in the U.S. and has served residential and commercial customers in Texas since 2002. We provide customers with affordable electricity plans, and all Gexa Energy residential plans are 100% green!
Take a look at our energy plans for home and energy plans for business and find the plan that’s right for you!