The scorching summer heat is often unbearable without an air conditioning (AC) unit. However, as we become more conscious of our environmental impact and the urgency of combating climate change, it’s essential to consider how staying cool this summer might contribute to energy usage and, consequently, to greenhouse gas emissions. This article aims to shed light on eco-friendly AC units, the new technologies available to reduce energy consumption, and how to make smarter choices for a cooler and greener environment.
What Makes an AC Unit Eco-Friendly
An eco-friendly AC unit is designed to minimize energy consumption and reduce your air conditioning environmental impact. This is achieved by incorporating energy-efficient technologies, using eco-friendly refrigerants, and developing the units to be as effective as possible at cooling spaces without wasting energy. A genuinely eco-friendly AC unit is more than just an energy saver—it’s an integral part of sustainable living and an active move towards reducing environmental harm.
New Eco-Friendly Air Conditioning Technology
In recent years, significant strides have been made in AC technologies to decrease energy usage. Some newer units incorporate solar power capabilities, while others use inverter technology to regulate energy consumption based on temperature changes. Additionally, some eco-friendly AC units utilize geothermal heat, using the earth’s natural warmth to cool and heat your home. There are also AC units available, which can adapt to cooling needs based on occupancy, reducing unnecessary energy expenditure.
Smart Thermostats and Gexa’s Thermostat Energy Plan
As a leader in green energy, Gexa Energy offers a Thermostat Energy Plan that works in conjunction with smart thermostats. A smart thermostat learns your habits and preferences, allowing it to adjust the temperature automatically to save energy when you’re not home or during cooler parts of the day. Gexa’s energy plans, combined with eco-friendly AC units, can greatly reduce your overall energy usage, saving you money and decreasing your carbon footprint. To learn more, check out our articles about how to set your thermostat and save on your electric bill.
Eco-Friendly AC Features to Look For
When shopping for an eco-friendly AC unit, consider these key features:
- Size: The size of your eco-friendly AC unit should correspond to your living space. An improperly sized unit can waste energy and inflate your utility bill.
- Scheduling Programs: AC units with programmable thermostats allow you to save energy by automatically powering off when you’re not home.
- Modification Options: The ability to add more energy-efficient modifications after purchase is a major plus. Consider talking with a professional to understand your upgrade options, like hybrid heat pumps.
Types of Eco-Friendly AC Units
There are several types of eco-friendly AC units designed to reduce energy usage and contribute to a sustainable future:
- Solar-Powered Air Conditioners: Use solar energy to power the unit, reducing reliance on traditional electricity.
- Inverter Air Conditioners: Adjust power output based on room temperature, reducing energy consumption.
- Geothermal Heat Pumps: Use the earth’s natural heat to cool and heat the air, significantly reducing energy usage.
- Smart Air Conditioners: Equipped with intelligent sensors that adjust cooling based on room occupancy.
- Dual-Hose Portable Air Conditioners: Feature two separate hoses, one for intake and one for exhaust, to enhance energy efficiency.
ENERGY STAR® Certified Air Conditioners
ENERGY STAR® certified AC units meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), using up to 15% less energy than traditional models. This certification guarantees reduced energy consumption and a lower environmental impact.
The Best 5 Eco-Friendly Air Conditioners to Reduce Energy Usage in Your Home
To make your selection process easier, here are five top-rated eco-friendly AC units:
- LG LW8016ER: An Energy Star-certified unit with a cooling capacity suitable for rooms up to 340 square feet.
- LG Art Cool Mirror: Uses inverter technology and offers a sleek, modern design.
- Pioneer WYS012G-20 Ductless Inverter + Mini Split Heat Pump: An all-in-one heating and cooling solution that uses inverter technology.
- Windmill AC: An energy-efficient smart air conditioner with a beautiful design.
- GE AHC08LY: A smart unit that allows for control via an app and is Energy Star-certified.
By incorporating renewable energy, using eco-friendly refrigerants like R-410A, incorporating evaporative cooling, and enhancing energy efficiency, these AC units can significantly reduce the negative environmental impact of cooling your home. Making these eco-conscious choices in your home benefits your wallet and plays a significant part in creating a sustainable future.
Learn More about Gexa Energy and their 100% renewable plans from environmentally friendly renewable sources.