As a Texas resident, you likely have at least a few options when it comes to your retail electricity provider. It’s a privilege most people in the country don’t have, and you’ll want to fully exercise your choice by comparing different providers and their offerings so that you can pick the right electricity plan. Depending on where you live in the state, you may have the choice between Gexa Energy vs. Green Mountain Energy. In this guide, we’ll cover some of the main differences between their plans and features so that you can make the most appropriate choice for your home.
The first thing you should consider when deciding on Green Mountain vs. Gexa is whether they supply electricity to your area. Both retail electricity providers operate throughout most of the state, but it’s smart to ensure that they operate in yours before doing any further research. Check out Gexa’s Service Areas.
Types of Plans Offered
There are quite a few similarities between the types of plans offered by both providers. Here’s what Gexa and Green Mountain have in common:
• Fixed and Variable Price Plans: Both retail electricity providers offer fixed and variable price plans to fit their customers’ needs. Fixed-price plans let you pay the same amount for electricity use throughout your contract, while variable-price plans fluctuate. Explore our guide on fixed-rate vs. variable-rate plans for a detailed comparison.
• 100% Renewable Electricity Plans: If you were thinking renewable electricity plan options might be a qualifier in your decision of Gexa vs. Green Mountain Energy, we’re sorry to disappoint you. Both providers harness solar and wind energy to power your home, aligning with a sustainable energy paradigm.
• Solar Buy Back Plans: If you have solar panels installed on your home, Gexa and Green Mountain offer plans that support residential solar electricity production. What’s more, they both provide benefits to customers who produce more solar electricity than they use and elect to use it to support their local grid.
• EV Charging Plans: While both providers have plans to support at-home electric vehicle charging, the options provided by Gexa vs. Green Mountain aren’t equal. Green Mountain offers a plan centered around overnight EV charging, but Gexa’s EV plans are more diverse. In addition to a plan that offers a discount on overnight charging, they also offer plans catering to charging any time of the day.
• Smart Thermostat Plans: Smart thermostats are a great choice for those looking to reduce their environmental impact and save money on their heating and cooling. Gexa has plans that work with the Emerson Seni® Touch smart thermostat, while Green Mountain’s are compatible with the Google Nest Learning Thermostat. Both devices learn from your habits to adjust temperature settings, but the main difference between Gexa Energy vs. Green Mountain Energy in this regard is that Gexa gives you the option to let them adjust your temperature settings during high usage periods to help you save even more.
What are the main differences between the plans offered by Green Mountain Energy vs. Gexa Energy? Gexa provides a more diverse list of plans to cater to consumer electricity needs. In addition to free three-day weekend plans and more flexible EV charging plans, Gexa Energy also provides plans for high or low usage that cater to your electricity use habits.
The length of a retail electricity plan contract can have a big impact on your decision of providers. Most permanent residents will opt for a 12- or 24-month plan contract because they have constant electricity needs, and due to longer contracts typically having more favorable pricing. However, renters or temporary residents of Texas may opt for eight-month or month-to-month plans to avoid paying for electricity they’re not going to use.
When it comes to the contract lengths of Gexa vs. Green Mountain Energy, the options are fairly even — both offer 12-, 24-, and month-to-month plans. Green Mountain offers more short-term options, like 8- and 18-month plans. However, Gexa is the only option between the two that offers plans with no set contract length for visitors and temporary workers.
The Gexa Difference
As you’ve probably noticed, there are quite a few similarities when it comes to Gexa Energy vs. Green Mountain Energy. Both have made commitments to providing electricity plans that use clean and renewable energy sources, and both offer plan options to fit consumer needs. So, what sets Gexa apart from Green Mountain and other retail electricity providers in Texas?
Diverse Options: As previously mentioned, Gexa Energy electricity plans are more diverse to fit a wider range of consumer needs. Whether you use more electricity during days or nights, weekdays or weekends, Gexa has lower plan prices for when you and your household consume electricity the most.
Technology: While Gexa isn’t the only retail electricity provider that uses smart technology to help residents reduce their electricity usage, their technology takes this goal further than most. Some companies craft plans around compatible smart thermostats, but Gexa proactively monitors your usage and adjusts settings to optimize electricity consumption, saving you the effort. Enroll in the Gexa Energy Optimizer Service to discover just how easy it is to save electricity while remaining comfortable.
Gexa Green Rewards: Earn points to lower your monthly bill by reducing electricity usage during specified “events” – a simple, rewarding way to save. Enrollment in the Gexa Green Rewards program is free, and you’ll receive a notification when there’s an upcoming period of peak usage that allows you to earn points.
Customer Service: Making sure your electricity plan fits your needs isn’t always as simple as it seems. And with so many different plans that can fit changing lifestyles, sometimes you need advice or answers to questions about your service. Gexa customer service representatives aren’t just there to help you when you experience an issue — they also help you make the most of your electricity plan.
How to Switch from Green Mountain to Gexa
If you’ve assessed the benefits of Green Mountain vs. Gexa and found that it’s time for a change, switching to Gexa is pretty straightforward. Here’s how to make the move in three easy steps.
- Review your contract with Green Mountain to check for any early termination fees you may have to pay. If there aren’t any, or you find that your savings from switching are larger than the fee, simply contact Gexa to switch your service.
- Review Gexa Energy plans to find one that fits your needs and lifestyle. Or, contact a Gexa customer service representative to help you find a retail electricity plan that’s right for you.
Enroll in your chosen Gexa electricity plan online or via phone. You have the flexibility to schedule service initiation up to 60 days in advance, or, in some cases, on the same day (additional fees may apply). If discovering the offerings of Gexa vs. Green Mountain Energy has you wondering about other retail electricity providers, explore the differences between Gexa Energy vs. TXU Energy.