With numerous energy providers available, it's easy to get lost in the myriad of options. Whether you’re new to the state or a lifelong resident, learning how to choose an electricity provider in Texas ultimately comes down to your own preferences and habits.
If you’re reading this, you may be close to narrowing down your choice between Gexa Energy vs. Direct Energy. Below, we'll give you a rundown on what electricity plans they offer, and how Gexa sets ourselves apart with 100% green electricity plans at competitive rates.
If you’re curious how Gexa compares to other providers in Texas, you can also read our guides to Gexa Energy vs TXU Energy, Gexa Energy vs Green Mountain Energy, or Gexa Energy vs. 4Change Energy. After you do a deep dive on all your options, we’re confident that our commitment to innovation, sustainability, and cost-effectiveness will cause you to choose Gexa Energy above the rest.
Major Selling Points and Features: Gexa vs. Direct Energy
- Electricity Optimization: Gexa Energy helps customers monitor and reduce their electricity usage so that they only pay for the power that they need. Whether it's through customizable plans with beneficial rates based on when you use or don't use electricity, Energy Saver options that include smart thermostats that adjust based on high-use periods, or solar buyback plans that maximize your home solar production, Gexa is committed to customer satisfaction — even when it comes to paying for less electricity. With Green Rewards Events, you can even earn bill credits for conserving your electricity during high-use periods.
- EV and Solar Panel Support: As technology continues to advance, the benefits of relying less on traditional fuel sources are undeniable. Choosing home solar panels and electric vehicles is an investment in saving money down the line, and you can maximize these assets with the right electricity plan. In addition to end-to-end solar solutions that let you send your unused solar energy back to the grid, there are plans optimized for at-home EV charging, including discounted charging overnight.
- Free Smart Thermostats Promotion: With Gexa Energy Saver Plans, you can receive up to 2 free Emerson Sensi™ Touch thermostats. The Emerson Sensi™ smart thermostats offer precision and adaptability, allowing you to create an energy-efficient environment tailored to your preferences. Enjoy up to 23% savings on heating and cooling costs by automating your home's temperature control with the smart thermostat.
- Flexible Term Lengths: Many retail electricity providers only offer long-term plan contracts, many of which have early cancellation fees. If you need power in your residence but aren't a long-term resident, or you prefer trying a provider before committing to a long-term contract, this can be a costly inconvenience. When considering Direct Energy vs. Gexa, consider that Gexa offers a wide range of term lengths, including month-to-month plans with variable pricing. If you're not happy with your plan in the first 60 days, you can also switch to a different Gexa Energy plan without needing to pay the initial cancellation fee.
- Amazon Prime Membership: Eligible customers can receive an Amazon Prime membership for the length of their contract on select Direct Energy plans, as well as savings on Vivint Smart Home Security systems. Direct Energy also allows plan subscribers to pay bills and refer friends via Amazon Alexa devices. However, the price per kilowatt that residents pay for these plans is higher than their other retail electricity plans, and they're only available with 24-month term lengths.
- Neighbor-to-Neighbor Bill Assistance: This program from Direct allows customers to donate money to help other qualifying Texas residents pay their electricity bills. Texans who qualify for aid can receive up to $700 a year to help them pay for residential electricity, which is distributed by a number of charities, agencies, and organizations.
- Home Protection Plans: Direct Energy has partnered with Allied Warranty to offer protection plans, similar to limited home warranty coverage. These plans cover certain issues surrounding your home's electrical system, including surge protection, electrical wiring, and HVAC repairs.
Choosing Between Gexa Energy vs. Direct Energy
There are many similarities between the initiatives, technology, and comprehensive customer support offered by both Gexa and Direct Energy. They both provide their customers with plenty of value, but there are a few key differences that can help make your decision between Direct Energy vs. Gexa easier.
Similarities: Both retail electricity providers offer plans that utilize smart thermostats, which the providers themselves can adjust, with your permission, during times of peak electricity usage to use less electricity and save you money on your bill. Gexa and Direct provide their customers with portals and monitoring technology that help them track and manage their electricity use, account information, and billing. Both offer promotional deals to add value to their electricity plans.
Differences: While Direct Energy offers some green energy plans, all of Gexa’s residential plans are 100% green. Additionally, Gexa offers more varied term lengths and solutions for EV charging.
When deciding on a retail electricity provider, there are some points you should research that go beyond comparing companies like Direct Energy vs. Gexa Energy. Here are some things to keep in mind before you enroll in an electricity plan.
1. Read the EFL Carefully: An EFL, or Electricity Facts Label, carefully details the terms and conditions of a residential electricity plan. While plan overviews can be helpful in comparing different offerings, the EFL will tell you exactly how much you'll pay for electricity use and inform you of any fees or exceptions that aren't necessarily mentioned in an overview.
2. Consider Plan Values: While promotions and temporary discounts can be appealing, choosing an energy plan that works for you all year is more valuable. Do you have an electric vehicle that you charge at home? Select a plan that supports EV charging. Do you work nights and rest during the day? Select a plan with lower pricing at night. Are consistent pricing and reliability the most important things to you? Select a fixed-rate plan that doesn't fluctuate from season to season.
3. Read Customer Reviews: Who better to inform you of how a retail electricity provider operates than actual customers? However, be sure to exercise a bit of skepticism when reading online reviews and dismiss those that aren't submitted in good faith.
How to Switch From Direct to Gexa
If you find that Gexa Energy vs. Direct Energy aligns more closely with your electricity needs, making the switch is simple:
- Review your current Direct Energy contract for any termination fees you may have to pay.
- Visit Gexa Energy and explore our diverse electricity plans.
- Choose the plan that fits your needs and sign up.
Gexa will manage the rest, ensuring a smooth transition without service disruptions.